5 THINGS YOU GET TOLD AS A QUIET PERSON

bloggggg

I would still consider myself to be a quiet person despite the fact my confidence has grown by leaps and bounds over the last few years. I’m confident enough to talk in front of groups of people and introduce myself to new people, I’m just not the loudest person there. I’m not the one shouting and jumping about making everything 2000 times more exciting that it really is but I wouldn’t call myself boring either. Whilst growing up I found myself to be much more of a shy person, due to this there were a lot of common sayings I would hear quite regularly, some of them I think did no help what-so-ever.

Here are the common things I got told whilst growing up:

1. I DIDN’T EXPECT YOU TO BE INTO ROCK MUSIC, YOU’RE TOO QUITE AND KIND FOR THAT

Okay, I understand at one point there might have been a stereotype of loud people listening to rock and metal and quiet people listening to pop. BUT I think it’s one of the SILLIEST stereotypes ever if I’m honest, everyone can listen to whoever they want. It’s got to point now where I find it funny seeing people’s reactions when I tell them I listen to Letlive and Architects, I am not too girly for that!

1. YOU CAN TALK TO THEM, THEY WON’T BITE

This is one of those saying that I heard plenty of times as a child, not so much anymore though luckily. I found hearing this rather frustrating, I felt like saying ‘yes, I know they won’t bite and no I’m not afraid of them, ever thought that I don’t want to talk to them right now and I just want to be quiet, ay?’.

1. JUST COME OUT OF YOUR SHELL A BIT

Whenever I heard this it always made me think of a tortoise, being weighed down by their home they’re carrying. The difference is nothing was weighing me down, I was light as a cloud, and I just didn’t want to bounce about making a fool of myself. I didn’t feel the need to be the first one to shout out ever answer in class, I was happy taking a little step back but I never saw any harm in that.

1. SHE DOESN’T TALK MUCH

I didn’t hear this one as commonly but OMG DID THIS ANNOY ME! Yes, I’m quiet but get me around my friends or people I know well and I can chat for hours, I have no problem with that. I just didn’t go out of my way to make small talk with people I didn’t really need to, just kept myself to myself.

1. YOU’RE TOO QUIET TO DO THAT JOB

I remember being told a few years back now that I couldn’t do a certain job because I wasn’t loud, not by an employer, by a person I knew, knew not friends. This is only a retail job, they were like ‘that would involve too much confrontation’, I shrugged it off as I knew it was a load of rubbish but why would anyone even have the nerve to say that. I now work delivering sessions to groups of people which obviously must show I’m a fairly confident person, well at least when I need to be!

Let me know in the comments if you’ve been told any of these before or anything similar, I would love to hear!

34 responses to “5 THINGS YOU GET TOLD AS A QUIET PERSON”

1. Wow…this is the most relatable post I have ever read! I guess we are pretty similar because all those things have been said to me countless times. It’s just really difficult for people to wrap their head around ‘quiet people’! It makes me feel great to know I’m not alone x thanks xo

2. Hannah Grace says:

All of these suck so much! Did it ever occur to people that maybe we like being quietly confident, instead of flaunting ourselves to others? Great post 🙂

I can completely relate to this post! I’ve gained so much confidence speaking to people & doing the job that I do but I’m still a quiet person and I don’t see what’s so wrong with it. I’ve had so many of these things said to me and I just feel like people should just leave me to be me instead of passing judgment.

Ellie Xx | http://www.make-it-up.co.uk

4. I’ve been told all of these things, such a relatable post! A few months ago I got myself a retail job, 2 days into training an experienced employee suggested I consider finding work elsewhere due to my quietness. Naturally I thought this was so rude and was a lil’ upset, but I made it my mission to prove them wrong, and I did✨ quiet power haha x

5. I’ve never related as much to a post as I have done to this one! I get told pretty much all of these things all the time and they get in my nerves so much 💖

• bbbryony says:

I’m glad this has been relatable, I kinda thought I might be the only one thinking this way! It’s so annoying hearing these things, just got to block it out now I guess x

6. Claire says:

This is honestly so relateable! I must have been told all of these at least 100 times haha, thankfully, I have “come out of my shell” a little more now and only rarely hear these 💪
    Claire | clairesyear.com

7. Serena Reidy says:

I can definitely relate to these, I’ve been told to “come out of my shell” so many times!

8. Kirsty M says:

Oh my god I can so relate to this post. My confidence has grown a lot over the past year though but I still hear these comments sometimes! So annoying haha x

astoldbykirsty.co.uk

9. possiblysami says:

Oh my god yes! Preach girl! I’ve been told most of these and it’s kind of annoying. I don’t see why being quiet is that strange for people like people have always told me and always asked why I’m quiet! I’m just quiet when I want to be! x

sami | possiblysami.com

10. Love this post. People don’t realise you don’t need to be loud to enjoy the music you like, do the job you do or absolutely anything, and sometimes it can definitely be the case that the loudest people have the least important things to say. Everyone should be allowed to be who they are. xx

11. corinneandkirsty says:

Must be hard to hear things like this, especially from people that don’t know the real you and just judge on a first impression.. x

Kirsty

12. Amber says:

This is so relateable! I get ‘don’t you talk much?’ alot. I still have no idea what they want me to say to that aha

13. Jess says:

I’ve never seen a post like this I but I love it- I was really quiet when I was younger and I used to get the super patronising ‘they won’t bite!!’ comment ALL THE TIME. Yawn. Maybe you should just bite them for irony x

14. Kate says:

She doesnt talk much is my personal most hated but I relate to all of these being the shy person I am haha! X

Kate// itskaterose.com

15. bexfaye says:

Ah this is really nice to read! I have always been told the complete opposite like ‘stop shouting’ and ‘calm down’ as I’m sometimes too chatty haha! x

16. I can definitely relate to this. I am very quiet with people I don’t know and hate it when people make me even more nervous by commenting on it!

Rachael

17. Yes! I’m quite quiet but that’s because I listen and take things in! Number 2 they won’t bite is so annoying! I also get ‘what’s the matter cat got your tongue?’ Argg

Tasha x

18. Ahh I have heard so many of these! Such a relatable post x

Morgan // http://www.justmorgs.com

19. As a fellow quiet person I relate to this a lot! It’s so hard being stereotyped as shy and awkward and sometimes even boring just because you’re a little quieter than others. Just because you’re quiet, doesn’t mean you’re any of those things, we have the right to choose when to talk.
    Jas xx

20. when I was younger, I was incredibly quiet and people use to always tell me to come out my shell – It’s so frustrating isn’t it. I can completely relate to everything you say on this post. Xo

Elle – https://ellegracedeveson.wordpress.com/

21. Saffy Dixon says:

This is so relatable, I’m exactly the same. If I don’t know people I find it very hard to know what to talk to them about but if I do know someone and get on well with them then there’s no chance in shutting me up 😂 all in all it’s very frustrating! X

22. I can so relate to this! I always used to get on school reports that I should ‘get more involved in discussions’ haha

23. Andrea says:

Ah, man, I can relate so much :’) especially when it comes to the ‘just come out of your shell’ thing :))
    We get you, sister. We’re with you on this one 😀

24. Ashleigh Taylor says:

I can relate to the 4th one so much! I’m always told that I don’t talk much. When I left sixth form we gave our psychology teacher a present and she said ‘and Ashleigh talks now’ 😂 x

25. Sophie says:

This is so relateable! It really bothers me when people tell me these sort of things, like yes I know I’m not talking much but that’s how I like it xx

Sophie’s Spot

26. I get the music one too!! Hahahah so relateable

findyourownhope.blogspot.com

27. Veronica M. says:

I can relate so much! I’m a quiet person and I’ve heard SO many variations of #3 in this post. It drives me nuts, there’s no shell holding me down or back, I’m happy being the quiet person I am lol. Wonderful post 🙂 <3