HAVING CONFIDENCE IN THE WAY YOU LOOK

edit 1

This is a topic I thought I would briefly touch upon whilst I’m sat here at 11:58 this morning looking out on the garden with the birds nibbling on the seed feeders. I currently have a makeup-less face due to my dry skin and rather cracked lips, it’s been this way for the past 3 days now, I’m pretty sure. This has forced me not to wear make-up, or very minimal I should say, with a little eyebrow gel on and a tiny bit of concealer around my nose, not my normal everyday look. Prior to this week, I would say I haven’t been out the house without makeup on for a year, at least, which now I sit down to think about it that’s not a healthy way to be.

I decided in order to get my skin back to a better condition I would have a few days without makeup, this way my pores won’t be blocked so it should do my face the world of good. During these couple of days I went out into town with no make-up on, previously I thought that I would have been stared at for looking a bit crap. I wasn’t, not once. I started asking myself why was I thinking it was such a big deal to not wear make up? I’m not bothered if I pass another girl in the street with a natural face. I guess it comes down to us being worried about how we’re perceived by others, will people think I’m sloppy or that I’m not putting in any effort if my face is natural? of course not, they’re probably conscious about the way they look too.

I must say going out the last couple of days with no makeup on has helped me gain so much more confidence in my face, I wouldn’t say that I love it or that I can now ditch all my make-up, just that I’ve become more comfortable with the way I look. In the future, if I have to go out somewhere and I only have 10 minutes to get ready, I’m just going to put some eyebrow gel on and get on with my day, not be hung up on the fact that I have no foundation on. Don’t get me wrong I love applying my makeup and messing around with products to create different looks, I think I’ll always love that. I just think It’s a little sad that these days we need to put about 14 different items on our face before we feel like we can go out into public.

I think having confidence in the way you look is so important, It’ll help you become more comfortable within yourself hopefully making you feel less insecure.

I’d love to know your thoughts on this topic, how you feel when you don’t have makeup on? Do you feel like you need to wear make –up every time you go out?

1. March 30, 2017 / 4:27 pm

I do tend to always wear makeup even if it is just a tiny bit. I just feel a lot more comfortable and I definitely wear mascara even if I’m not wearing anything else 😊 X

2. March 30, 2017 / 4:31 pm

This is a great post. I rarely go makeup free. There are some days where I only wear mascara as my eyelashes are so short! I have got a lot more confident in my own skin recently though x

3. March 30, 2017 / 4:34 pm

I’m such an all-or-nothing kind of girl! I love playing with makeup but when I’m getting ready for work sometimes I just CAN’T be bothered. Even though it makes me super aware of how pink my skin looks or that without mascara I look like I have NO eyes, I’m sure no one else actually notices! x

4. March 30, 2017 / 4:38 pm

Usually I always wear foundation because I have spotty skin, and I get really self-conscious about it. Even though others say it’s all right. If a small splash of make-up helps me feel better I don’t really see harm in it. But if it’s just running errant or sports I don’t wear anything. Xx

• March 31, 2017 / 8:02 pm

if it makes you feel better wearing it then go for it, i’m just trying to wear less when i’m doing errants instead of doing a full face x

5. March 30, 2017 / 5:47 pm

I am a minimalist when it comes to makeup. Not that I don’t like wearing makeup but just that I don’t really know how to put it on and also coz I can’t really get fussed… Like I’d rather spend 10 more minutes in bed. And then I feel bad coz everybody in the office looks so perfect… but no, I don’t feel like I need to wear makeup all the time. xx Corinne

• March 31, 2017 / 8:00 pm

I’m so getting that feeling at the moment that some days i’d rather spend the extra time in bed than doing my make-up, feel you there!

6. March 31, 2017 / 8:04 am

I used to always wear makeup, even if I am just slumming it around the house! I used to have such low confidence (still do, but not as bad) that at one point I didn’t leave my room unless I had a minimum of foundation and mascara on! But now I am getting better – I play rugby and it’s not a good look to have melted makeup after playing 80 mins of full contact, so I started going to games with no makeup. I still put some powder on and fill my eyebrows after a game, but it’s progress! xx

• March 31, 2017 / 2:59 pm

it’s defiantly progress, go you!!!

7. March 31, 2017 / 7:47 pm

Looove this. Because this is exactly what I went through the past year. I used to wear makeup ALL THE TIME, to work, to school EVERY SINGLE DAY. It was honestly exhausting, and I did it out of necessity. I felt it was necessary. But, I also started a new relationship in the last year, and I think that has developed my self-confidence to boost up a bit. I decided to lay off the makeup and stop feeling like I had to wear it every single day. I loved it. I started to really get comfortable in my own skin, embracing my complexion and my acne in certain areas, because I’m human! It’s helped that my boyfriend still loves me just as much as he did when I wore makeup all the time.

So yeah, whatever works for you! If it’s going make up free – by all means go for it! So glad you were able to develop some confidence here! You go girl!

• March 31, 2017 / 7:55 pm

I’m glad you liked it☺️☺️I found it exhausting putting make up on everyday too, you’ve got to get up so much earlier everyday to make sure you have time to do the whole routine! Glad you feel happier without wearing make up now!💛

8. March 31, 2017 / 8:03 pm

Such a great post, I used to NEVER leave the house without makeup but recently I’ve started doing so and now I’m wondering what the big deal was all these years. I love makeup but it’s also great to let your skin breathe and go for the natural look x

• March 31, 2017 / 8:05 pm

aw thank you! I feel exactly the same, I think it feels so much better to know I can leave the house without make up every now and then x

9. March 31, 2017 / 8:03 pm

I relate to this so much! It took me so long to finally leave the house without makeup on, and I did it for exactly the same reason, my skin was in such bad condition! Now I do it all the time and my skin has gotten so much better 💕

• March 31, 2017 / 8:06 pm

I think having bad skin really pushes you to make a difference as you want to make it better, I’ve only wore make up 2 days this week to dry and make my skin better and it’s getting there x

10. lolitambonita
    March 31, 2017 / 8:06 pm

I have never been a huge make up person the bit of mascara and maybe BB cream but I have had plenty of days that I go out with no make up on. I admit when I wear it I do feel more confident and sexier but I can honestly say it doesnt bother me not to wear it x
    Lola Mia // http://www.lolitabonita.co.uk

11. TheCrimsonCardigan
    March 31, 2017 / 11:52 pm

Having that confidence is a journey for most people, but when you get there, it’s such a weight off your shoulder. I stopped wearing makeup a while back – I really prefer to not wear any makeup at all, even when I go out. For special occasions, maybe, but I don’t feel like I have to. I think a big smile and happy eyes are enough. I feel like when you’re happy with your life and where you are, nothing else really matters.

12. londondamsel
    April 1, 2017 / 8:26 pm

Well written. I think you’re right saying we feel like we’re judged if we don’t make the effort to put our makeup on. I often feel I don’t look work ready if my makeup isn’t applied, so it’s become an automated process now. However, a short while ago a makeup artist took my makeup off to reapply it in a different way and she told me to never again cover my face with a foundation as my skin is perfect and doesn’t need that much coverage. Huh? She’s a professional, so I’m now learning to trust her words and giving my skin some time to breathe.

Maya | londondamsel.co.uk

13. April 3, 2017 / 2:54 am

Such a lovely post! I am still self conscious about not wearing make up – its bad I know! But your post has encouraged me to try harder hahah <3

findyourownhope.blogspot.com

• April 4, 2017 / 7:48 pm

aw I’m so glad that it’s encouraged you to do that, you can do if if you want to!xx

14. April 3, 2017 / 11:55 am

Getting into makeup actually made me a lot more confident in my appearance with AND without it. It made me notice and appreciate the parts of me that I like as well as the bits I’m not keen on.