As I’m currently writing this it’s Sunday and I’ve just got back home after visiting my boyfriend for the weekend, the train journey was a long trek of roughly three and a half hours.

When I got home it felt about 40 degrees despite it being baltic outside, the last thing I wanted to put on was my fluffy pyjama bottoms. I dug out a pair of thin shorts from the back of my wardrobe, the same pair I remember wearing a few summers ago in Portugal with a crop top. This pair of shorts were a size 8, they now clung to my thighs and were uncomfortably tight around my waist; it was in that moment that I looked down at myself and thought wow my figure isn’t the same anymore. My body has changed and developed into a woman, it’s important to remember that is supposed to happen, it’s not realistic or healthy to try and maintain the body of a 14 year old at Twenty.

I think I’m finally starting to realise that. What I did next showed that, I pulled out a pair of cosy shorts and put them on, why’s this such a big deal? I’ll tell you. I didn’t stare in the mirror and say I want to be thinner and I didn’t think about starving myself on some stupidly low calorie diet, I didn’t think about downloading exercise apps or doing 200 sit ups every night, I just carried on with life. This I’m proud of. This acceptance of who I am made me so much happier and prouder than being a size eight ever did.

I’m not saying I’ve gained loads and loads of weight either, it’s the mentality change. I no longer desire to have the body of a model, like the ones you always saw on tumblr as a young teen, that clearly negativity influenced your mind. I was content enough with myself in that moment to walk away and make a cup of tea instead of binning all the packs of biscuits I have in the cupboards.

If you can tell from the paragraph above, I used to have some issues with food during my late teens. I did all sorts of stupid diets, endlessly counted calories to the point I was eating so little my body was struggling. I lost weight, yes but I also lost myself. I was constantly miserable, I cried many evenings because I was so unhappy with myself, I was never good enough for myself, I never could be. My goal was something that was so unreachable, it was to gain acceptance of my body however at that point I hadn’t realised that you couldn’t do that by constantly criticising and putting yourself down.

I never want to experience this negative mindset again, it was a dark place that I’m so pleased to be out of.

I’ve learnt that food is something that your body needs; it needs to be nourished and cared for. I now laugh way more than I ever used to, I defiantly cry way less, I feel like a totally different person. I love who I am today and if being a size 10/12 makes me that cheerful person than so be it, it’s just a number. It’s so important not to listen to the people who are still narrow minded and comment things like ‘do you realise how many calories are in the cake you are eating?’ because y’know what it doesn’t bother me. I’m going to carry on eating my cake because it tastes bloody good and you should too!

If you’re currently struggling with issues around body image or food intake, please try and get some help, I know it can be scary to do but you’ll thank yourself in the long run. Taking good care of your body is vital, self-care and self-love are the key.

1. Grace says:

Yes go you!! Took me a long time go realise i don’t need to kill myself to become a size that I probably never will. Such a positive post, I love it!x

• bbbryony says:

GO US!I’m glad you liked it I was really nervous about posting it as it’s slightly more personal that what I normally write about x

2. Emily says:

I love this post hunni! Ive lost so much weight hrough being ill and now ive gained it back i put on my old clothes and think god ive put on so much weight! To begin with it really bothered me but now I’m okay with it! Im 100 x more healthy now and I love having some curve to my figure! So happy you are content with yourself it honestly the most liberating thing! <3

Emily xx

3. Tara says:

Love this. The most important thing is to be happy with yourself and not feel pressured to change. More self live is definitely needed in this world 🙌

4. I believe in living a healthy life! I can’t say I’m doing that right with all the junk I’m eating but I am trying I swear ahah! Anyways, I had a similar problem when I was in high school, but I didn’t realise it. I wasn’t eating nearly enough and I was so skinny and so unhappy! But, now I’be come to terms with putting on weight as an adult I’m so much happier! x

5. I believe in living a healthy life! I can’t say I’m doing that right with all the junk I’m eating but I am trying I swear ahah! Anyways, I had a similar problem when I was in high school, I was so unhealthy but, I’m coming to terms with my weight now and I’m so much happier!

6. Jessica says:

This is such an important post, so happy that you’re in a place where you’re happy with your body, every one is beautiful, no matter what size they fit into! Personally I’ve always had trouble with gaining weight and fitting into anything other than a size 8 and it’s taken a long time to accept that it doesn’t mean I’m anorexic, it’s just the way I am. Loved reading this! ♡

Jessica xo |

7. Bexa says:

This is such a positive post! I loved reading this Bryony! I can relate to it soo much. My size 8 work trousers are a thing of the past and I used to feel bad about it and stress about doing more exercise. Now I wear my 10/12 and don’t really care too much about the label. As long as I’m healthy and happy (I am eating a Dominos pizza right now he he) that’s all that matters. Great message you are promoting, well done 💖 xx

Bexa |

8. Such a great postive post! I used to care so much but I’ve slowly accepted it now!

Jessica & James | /

9. Yes girl!! Being confident about ourselves and not caring what size we are is such a huge step in our own self-achievement. Be proud!x

10. Abbie says:

This is such a powerful post and I am so glad that you are in this mindset now to see yourself as being beautiful how you are!
    Abbie x |

11. Missviclb says:

This blog post was exactly what I needed to see right now! I’ve always been very very thin all my life but in the past year I’ve been spending so much time at work that I don’t have the time to get out and walk as much as I have all my life. It’s such a struggle for me to accept it but this made me feel so much better! Maybe it’s just a natural thing for some of us when we reach our twenties.

Vicki |

• bbbryony says:

there’s nothing wrong with gaining a bit of weight, at the end of the day you can always lose it again, it’s something that’s always changeable. It’s just important not to worry about the numbers, they don’t matter, it’s your happiness that does x

12. Evie says:

This post was so lovely and honest! It’s so important to reach this level of confidence and acceptance, as at 20 your body has changed/is still changing. I really hope everyone is able to take something from this post as its very inspiring.

I’m hoping that this year my relationship with food will be way healthier. I’m trying to keep myself healthy rather than ruining my body again and seeing how you’re on the brighter side of things is so inspiring! I’m accepting that bodies change and that change is okay and nothing to be ashamed of!!
    Ellie | xx

14. Eden says:

This is an incredible post. I am only 15 but over the past few months I have noticed how some of my clothes are too small now that used to fit me or were too big for me and I am okay with that, I am going to change that’s the natural path of my body. I hope lots of people read this post and are inspired xx

• bbbryony says:

thank you so much Eden, it’s natural to gain weight and need to buy bigger sized clothes however the media these days doesn’t help us get that in our heads xx

15. This is such a good post, always warms my heart seeing people content in their bodies. So proud of your mentality 👏👏👏

16. Emsi Rose says:

I’m still on the journey to accepting my body, so this was a lovely and supportive post to read. Thank you!! xx

17. Meghan says:

Beautifully written and inspiring 💞

18. Maya says:

I love this post 🙌🏼🙌🏼 Being comfortable in who you are is so so important and I feel like the society we live in today is so against this that it ca be dangerous for some people’s health. But yes you go girl!!

19. Chloe Witty says:

Yes mate! I average around a 10 now and it used to really bother me, but now I’m ready to accept just some things change, like my hips getting bigger, that I can’t alter!

20. Good Idea, and post. Clothing size and age are just numbers.

21. Lew says:

You are so very gorgeous! xx

22. Kat says:

This is so true! Confidence in the way you look is so important. I loved this post.

23. Grace says:

This post was so amazing, definitely reassuring to read that it’s okay to be whatever shape and size you want to be. I am still on my own self confidence journey but I am happy in my own body, and I am glad you are too!
    Grace xx

24. ChristyJane says:

This is a read that has put my mind into perspective. I’m currently struggling to be comfortable in my body (surprise just after Christmas). Reading this has told me that who cares about the way you look, as long as you are happy with it. Although do still try and be healthy but enjoy the treats without feeling guilty!
    Thankyou Bryony!

25. I completely got you. It is good to read from people who are confident in their body and accepted who they are. I am still working on that. xx corinne

26. Lizzie Bee says:

I’m so proud of you! It’s an amazing feeling to be comfortable in your own body, and it’s something that I hope to achieve one day.

27. Holly says:

You go lovely! So many men and women negatively think about their body image and it shouldn’t be that way. X

28. Sofia says:

It’s so amazing seeing women be confident in their bodies and finally realize that they are awesome no matter what! You go girl! Loved this post!!

29. This is such a great post, it’s so positive! I’m still trying to working on being comfortable with my body, but I know I’ll get there :)!

L xo

30. Leann Kelly says:

This is a really positive post & I think it is excellent for other women to hear this. Especially younger girls who are bombard with this idea of a perfect figure. Be confidence & be comfortable.

31. Savannah says:

Honesty, size is just a number. One that seems to vary from store to store and clothing item! Such an unreliable source of health, and totally irrelevant! I have anything in my closet between sizes extra small and double extra large hahaha x

32. Brynn says:

I love this post! this is something everyone could benefit by reading. I love what you said about the change in mindset! Such an amazing post! x brynn

33. Such a big fan of this post. I know exactly what you mean and how you feel. For years I wantes that ultra thin model look but now I’m so much more happy with myself and the shape of my body. I would like to be healthier but that shouldn’t get mixed up with being thinner! X

34. Liz says:

Absolutely love this post and 100% agree! whilst I’m not 100% happy with my body, I’m learning to love it, feed it the right things and slowly it will repay me! This is the best attitude to have towards body image, you go girl!
    Liz xx

35. It’s great to read such a positive view on the situation – this is something I’ve struggled with growing up but I’m definitely starting to care less about it! x

36. This is a great read! As someone who’s put on a bit of weight since starting uni and was never considered the ‘skinny’ one in friendship groups through my life, I’ve come more to the acceptance that as long as I’m healthy, I’m happy x

37. Alisha Ceit says:

I love this. Sometimes it is so easy to get sucked into the mentality of hating your own body cause you don’t look like all the airbrushed models on magazines. I try so hard to keep my self healthy and be happy with my body.

38. Mollie says:

Loved this post, it is so well written and such an important message. I used to always get caught up with sizes and weights and it was awful, positive posts like this are amazing! X

39. Lorna says:

Love this post, thank you for sharing!! I totally relate and it’s always helpful to see that people are going through the same changes!x

40. Dominique says:

One moment I don’t care about how I look or the size of my body, the other I obsessively scrutinise everything that’s ‘out of place’. I loved reading such a positive story as these small moments are often overlooked within the bigger picture of ‘self acceptance’/body image. Thank you for sharing!

41. sharnah says:

This is very brave of you and you are right you should always be happy with your body know matter what! I am 20 and pretty much still have the body of a 14 year old(and hate it) but I am healthy and trying to be happy with myself. Body positivity is such an important thing and i think it is so amazing of you to write this as it will encourage and help many other people xx

42. Liv says:

This was so well written, well done for talking about it! Loved it xx

43. Ms Via says:

Such a positive post. A few years back I had gained a lot of weight after my second pregnancy. I used to feel I should loose weight and go for walks etc but still it did not go down. But slowly I was determined and started eating right and healthy ( more vegetables and small portions) which helped me a lot to become 67kg from 79kg. But now I am healthy and have not lost my curves. I now feel good. Health is what is important. 🙂

44. Sophie says:

I loved reading this so much. It takes a lot to be comfortable in your own skin these days, even if you have a seemingly perfect body, the majority still aren’t happy. I’m especially pleased that you added that bit about where your head used to be as well, it just shows how even more incredible it is that you feel the way you do. Hope you can spread this positivity to a few more people who need it x

45. Rosie says:

This was so so lovely to read!

Rosie |

46. Faye says:

Such an amazing post! The fact that you’re feeling confident in yourself is so inspirational and is something that takes a lot of time to gain. xx

47. Minttu says:

This is such an important topic and good for you for writing about it! 🙂 I used to worry about my weight when I was younger, I suppose most girls do, but the older I get the more I’ve learned to love my body whatever weight I’m at and I could not care less about the size of the clothes I wear. I buy whatever size looks and feels good. Sometimes it is extra small and sometimes it’s large and it makes no difference to me. 😀

48. Sophie says:

I love this post! I’m so glad that you shared this, I know what its like to look in the mirror and just focus on all of the worst bits, but self acceptance is so much more worthwhile than the non-existent ‘perfect figure’- x

49. Alys says:

Love the message you’re promoting here, so so important! I wish everyone could read this, I’m sure so many people can relate (including me). I’m glad to hear you’re in a body positive place now, somewhere I’m working towards too! Brilliant post <3

50. I love this post! Such an inspiring read, and love love love your message.

I was really ill for a long time, and lost a lot of weight. I’m so much healthier and happier now, but it’s constantly drummed into us that any weight gain is bad, and I’ve had a hard time finding confidence to go out and enjoy my health… Your post was exactly what I needed to hear, and so happy to hear you’re feeling more confident!

Aileen xx

• bbbryony says:

awwww thank you so much! I’m sorry to hear that you were ill but I’m glad you’re feeling better now lovely. I think the whole ‘weight gain is bad’ in the media should be banned, it’s not helpful to anyone at all especially not for those who are struggling x

51. This is so inspiring. I think that mindset is so healthy! You look fab how you are 💙

52. Sophie says:

Go you! It’s definitely so important to be happy with ourselves no matter our size, no-ones really going to be the same in the way of shape or size anyway

Sophie’s Spot