5 WAYS I IMPROVED MY BLOG PICTURE GAME

5t

I’d like to think that my blog photo’s have transformed a fair amount since when I started last December to the current day, I also know they have a long way to go for me to be 100% happy with them, but I’m getting there. I’ve only made a few small changes to the items I use for blog photo’s and how I arrange them, minus the Olympus Pen, but that doesn’t count as none of its pictures have made it onto my blog yet.

Anyway, here’s are a few ways I’ve improved my blog pictures over the past year, all super affordable!!

MARBLE STICKY BACK ADHESIVE

When I first started blogging I was fooled into believing every blogger had perfectly instragrammable kitchen surfaces, AS IF, I soon realised there was a lil trick to it. The marble stick back plastic that costs £6.50 off Amazon and is also available in B&Q, it looks SO much more sleek than having your windowsill as your background, which admittedly I used to do. It’s so quick to lay out and instantly gives you a clear clean surface to work with, never mind all the mess on your desk this surface looks ace! I’ve just purchased my second roll a few days ago due to my first one becoming extremely creased after a year, this time I also bought a square on MDF from B&Q which I carefully stuck the marble paper too, that way it prevents it becoming creased and will allow it to last longer!

B&Q WALLPAPER SAMPLES

I think my fav part about these has to be the price, or you could say what price? yass, they are totally free! I have a little collection now of different samples ranging from a grey brick background, a sleek grey wooden flooring and a rose gold patterned one, but there are 40+ more that you can choose from. They make a nice alternative to my normal marble backing, sometimes I’ll overlap the marble with a bit of the wallpaper to give the background a lil more texture and life.

PATIENCE

This one might sound kinda bizarre, but have a think of how many times you’ve wanted to give up on a post because you can’t get the picture spot on. That’s happened to me far too many times! Instead of giving up on the post, you can delay the upload date so you have a chance to re-take the pictures, maybe all you need is a day with more sunlight.

HAVING A FEW PROPS READY

It’s all good having decent lighting and a fancy background but if you’re taking a flat-lay for a lifestyle post you’ll need items to photograph. For example, the picture in my ‘OCTOBER BLOG POSTS TO READ’ included a gold pumpkin that was purchased from Wilkinson’s (bargain price of £5). I’ve got quite a few props sitting around that I can use to jazz up my pictures a bit, they’re a handy thing to have, the lifestyle sections of shops such as Primark, Sainsbury’s and Tesco are a good place to start!

SOFTBOX LIGHTING

I received a Softbox for Christmas and it’s the best thing that could have ever happened to my blog photo’s, the difference it makes it crazy. On the 2nd of Jan, on the dull and dark day I managed to take 8 blog pictures I really loved in an hour before I headed out, I normally only get 2 good ones if I spend a couple of hours taking hundreds of snaps! It’s totally going to change my game as I’m going to be able to whip up pictures for posts so much easier which should hopefully mean I’ll be able to post more regularly too.

I’m always looking for ways to improve my pictures, if you have any tips I would love to hear them, likewise, if you’ve written a blog post on the topic I’d love it if you left the link below!

19 responses to “5 WAYS I IMPROVED MY BLOG PICTURE GAME”

1. Amy says:

I love my marble adhesive paper! I got mine from hobbycraft for like £5 and made myself a desk! I also am thinking about investing in lighting because it’s always dark when I get home from work and the sun doesn’t reach my room well! Thanks for sharing your tips x

2. Eden says:

Loved this post! Your photos are gorgeous so it was lovely to know how you improved your photos! Xx

3. Thank you so much for your tips, I think a trip to B&Q will now be in order. Thank you for writing this!

4. Lydia says:

Absolutely love this post! I’ve been trying to step up my photography game on my posts and yours are gorgeous 🙂

I feel like my blog post pictures really improved when i got a few wallpaper samples from B&Q! I got a wooden flooring effect and it looks SO good for a background and it’s such a handy thing! Your blog pictures are really stunning! What kind of softbox light did you get? I’ve been wanting one but wouldnt know where to start looking or what brands or anything!x

6. These are great tips! I’ve been meaning to get myself a marble background for a while now x

7. Chloe says:

I love this post! I really want a soft box to improve my lighting because the lighting in my house is terrible! But they’re so big I don’t know where to put them! I would ideally need a small one.

8. For my lighting i use a small white lighted lamp always a bit difficult to make sure it is lightened perfect but its better than take pictures with the non existant daylight right now. The one difficult thing i find is finding props can never find good ones.

Rebecca Elaine x

9. Zara says:

I really need to pick up some more background paper, it honestly makes such a difference! I’m really struggling with my blog photography at the moment and it’s stopping me from wanting to write because I know I won’t get the picture right. Hopefully once I upgrade my phone to have a better camera I’ll be back in it again! xo

10. Erin says:

Wow! I had no idea about the marble sticky! So creative and really useful. I also love all the white fur used for beauty products and clothing- super cute! But I feel like so many people are doing this… how do we keep our things still unique when using the same things?

11. Rebecca says:

I’ve always used marble sticky back plastic stuck to an old board and it works so well but wallpaper samples are such a good idea to mix up my backgrounds! I’m off to start collecting them straight away!! Xx

12. I love this post! I’m a beginner when it comes to blogging and just love getting tips and tricks from other bloggers. You’re photos are amazing so I’m so excited to use some of your tips!!

13. Often than enough I find the pictures harder than actually writing the content! These are really good and helpful tips though. I’ll take them into consideration.

Carly xx // http://www.prettystyleofliving.wordpress.com