Is relatability important in social media content?

I don’t know about you but for me, there is nothing better than sitting down on a Sunday evening and sinking my eyes into a good old Hannah Gale post.

There really is nothing else I would want to read on a relaxing evening, let me tell you why:

– There’s always a sentence in there that will make me chuckle and think that’s so something that could happen to me.
– I actually feel like I’m reading a diary entry, I know it’s not super deep but we get a very good insight into her real life.
– The clothes Hannah talks about, for example, her favourite dress to wear currently is something you could afford to buy too. It’s not the latest from the Gucci range that you could only afford if you were born rich or won the lottery.

okay, enough of talking about Hannah.

My point was her blog is relatable, this then makes it a relaxing read and is the main reason I go back to her blog time after time.

The question is do we, as viewers enjoy reading/watching content that isn’t relatable? Would you click on a blog post if the title is ‘£500 Primark Haul’, I probably wouldn’t.

I enjoy watching content that is inspiring, that motivates me to create/ write better myself not something where I’m left feeling not good enough/ like I’ll never have enough money to make relevant content. Do you get where I’m coming from?

If we are talking about Youtube, I massively prefer watching vlogs over main channel videos due to the fact they’re less ‘staged’. They allow you to get the know the person on a closer level, you’ll see their up’s and their downs and you may be able to understand/relate to the way they feel about certain topics.

I’ll give you another example; A popular Youtube Star I used to totally adore is Zoella. I fell in love with her chatty vlogs where you could see how genuinely happy she was and how much fun she was having with her friends. I’ll always admire her for how successful she’s become, because that gal has done something that years ago people thought was impossible, earning a wage/ starting a business from YouTube. She’s smashed it!

Despite saying that, if I see her videos appear on feed nowadays I will actively not click on it due to the fact her videos no longer interest me. I don’t really want to see a million pound house that’s perfectly furnished with tons of huge PR hauls, it’s just way-way-way too far from my reality. I’ll still interact with her Instagram images, I just don’t want to spend half an hour of my evening watching content that isn’t relatable/ something I could set myself as a ‘future goal’.

An Example of a vlogger I currently love for relatability is the Mandeville Sisters; One of the Sisters Amelia is Twenty and takes us along on her exciting book projects and London work days. however, we also see her homey days where she chills around like the rest of us, we see her upset and we followed the process of her learning to drive and practising in her first car.

What I’m trying to get to here is I bloody love relatable content, I love something you can chill with whilst having cuppa tea, something that can cheer you up on a down day.

I do read and watch a wide variety of content but essentially what’ll make me go back to that creator is relatability. If they’re going through roughly similar things in their life as I am now then I’m more likely to follow them on their journey.

An Example: I’d love to move out of my family home in the next few years so at the moment I’m obsessed with watching videos of people who’ve recently moved into their own place; rented or owned. It’s a ‘longer-term’ goal I’m setting myself and I know I can do one day so I enjoy seeing how other gals are furnishing their lounges and kitchens.

what’re your opinions here?

13 responses to “Is relatability important in social media content?”

1. Ellie Plummer says:

I actually really enjoyed reading this post. I think sometimes you can overthink the post that you are writing so it stops being relatable. I think being yourself is definitely the way to go as it will be unique 🙂

2. Jenny says:

I love this post. It’s so true you wouldn’t read or watch something you wouldn’t do yourself. I love vlogs more YouTube now than sit down videos x

3. Caroline says:

Really enjoyed reading this post! I completely agree with you to be fair. Relatability is something I have always looked for in a post! Must admit, I am the same when it comes to watching videos/reading posts about people moving houses etc as I also have a plan to move out soon, makes me really excited to move [bought/seen so many things for my non-existent home, oops!]

4. This was really interesting. I did a post a couple of weeks ago talking about a similar thing and basically said the opposite 😂. Whether or not something is relatable varies from person to person anyway. Personally I don’t care if someone’s life is relatable to mine when I watch. Sometimes I might just like their personality or style etc. But I guess that’s the beauty of having such variety in creators. We all get to choose the content we enjoy x

Sophie

5. Jess says:

I really enjoyed reading this and I totally agree with you I much prefer to read relatable content or content that gives me tips on how to improve my blog/photography etc rather than being left feeling like I don’t have enough money to be a ‘real blogger’

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

6. I know exactly what you mean about finding it easier to read/watch people that are more like myself! However often I think it can push people to force being ‘relatable’ to the point where it’s no longer natural anymore. Fab post x

Morgan // http://www.justmorgs.com

• bbbryony says:

yeah i see what you mean, as long as the person is being themself and true to how they feel then it should create good content that someone will find relatable x

7. Grace says:

Really liked this post! Can definitely agree with you on ‘relateability’, as you find the post a lot more interesting especially if someone’s into something similar to me.

Grace x

8. Anne says:

I totally get what you mean – there’s just something more engaging about videos and blogs when their content is related to something you are interested in or do for yourself or just relate to! and ugh i love hannah and the maderville sisters as well, such quality content!

9. Nancy says:

I think relatability is very important – it gives the reader a reason why they should look at your content. I totally understand what you’re trying to look for. I can relate about people I can’t really relate to anymore and that’s totally okay. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me