LIL TIPS COPING WITH THE DARK EVENINGS

I really don’t know how I feel about these dark evenings drawing it at just gone 4’o clock; I know it’s the same every year but this one just seems way more dull, gloomy and all around depressing. Does anyone else feel this way?

For me it takes the relaxing out of a lazy day, here’s why:

• you wake up at eleven, make a breakfast of your choice, slowly get ready whilst watching 10 videos online so you’re ready at 2pm.

It’s then 2 hours until it’s dark and it feels like you’ve wasted the day and the world is closing in on you. Okay, that was slightly dramatic but it’s not a nice feeling, it’s like ‘oh hey, the day’s over now, time to get pyjama’s on’. This then leads to you struggling to sleep as you haven’t been active enough during the day.

As easy as it would be to sit and wallow in the sadness that the days are drawing it, it’s not a healthy thing to do. I’m never going to enjoy the time of year where it’s like this, however, I can do things to make it more bearable for myself, here’s a few…

FACETIME FRIENDS TO AVOID YOU GETTING LONELY

This always perks me up, you’ll end up chatting away about everything/anything and laughing away. In no time you’ll forget about ‘the sad feeling’.

I also enjoy sending video’s to my friends on Instagram, it’s just a more fun/enthusiastic way to go about messaging. It allows me to be a little bit sillier which hopefully gives the video a more of an ‘upbeat’ tone, hopefully maybe making the person I’ve sent it to laugh.

GET YOURSELF EXCITED FOR CHRISTMAS

Christmas and the potential of a ‘snow day’ may be the only good things about this time of year, you’ve got to agree, right?

I like to get myself excited for Christmas at the end of November by starting to watch old Vlogmass’, look up Christmas related items, write wishlists and start my browsing for others.

It reminds me that this time of year doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom, lol.

TRYING TO HAVE A MOORE LAID-BACK ATTITUDE

Emphasis on the ‘try’ as it’s not an easy thing to do.

I personally find I get stressed easier this time of year as my attitude is already slightly less positive so my mind goes ‘AHHHH I CAN’T DO THIS’ a lot sooner. I’ve been trying to care a little less, that sounds really bad saying it like that but caring less about the silly things that don’t actually matter should make me happier.

I wish I had a longer list of tips than this, I really do, I’d love if you could also share what you do.

What do you do to deal with the darker evenings?

Have you read last weeks posts where I talk about my CURRENT ASOS WISHLIST

1. December 17, 2018 / 1:19 pm

What I really love to do now is go to city center in the evening with all the Christmas lights and markets and just enjoy. Since it is already dark at 5 pm, you will be probably back in your apartment buy 8-9 pm. It is a nice way to go out, enjoy, maybe meet someone and forget about long dark nights of winter.

• bbbryony
      Author
      December 17, 2018 / 5:10 pm

that’s such a lovely idea!

2. December 17, 2018 / 5:07 pm

I actually don’t mind the darker evenings *too* much but it can get a little tiring after months on end! I also try to have cute lighting and plenty of candles lit to make my home appear more cosy than just dark and gloomy! x

• bbbryony
      Author
      December 17, 2018 / 5:11 pm

oh yes, candles around the outside of a bath with a bath bomb is the cosiest thing x

3. Kelly Ramsdell
    December 17, 2018 / 5:11 pm

Man, the struggle is real with the early darkness. I’m finding that morning exercise is helping quite a bit, too. Thanks for these tips!

4. December 17, 2018 / 5:17 pm

I love making the evenings cosy – we have our fairy lights on around the house and on the tree, I put candles on etc. I have a young toddler and so the darker evenings are actually quite handy as he seems to understand that it’s nighttime – I struggle with the dark mornings!
    Hels xx

5. December 17, 2018 / 5:37 pm

I like darker evenings because for some reason it makes me have better nights sleep! The downside is, I always feel much less productive because as soon as it’s dark I don’t want to work any more haha! I love your tip for thinking of a snow day to get us through! x

6. December 17, 2018 / 5:39 pm

These are great ideas Bryony! I’m not much of a fan of the darker evenings either, it feels like the day is over before it has really began. Facetime is such a great way to keep in touch with friends and family, I love it! I like getting all cosy in the evenings, having a bath and watching some YouTube, Vlogmas always makes me feel so festive. Thanks for sharing your ideas lovely and have a great Christmas! <3 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

7. December 17, 2018 / 5:46 pm

I’m one of those weirdos who quite enjoys the winter and the dark evenings, but I can completely understand how depressing it can be for most people. I love your idea of Facetiming people, it can be hard to want to drag yourself out of the house when it’s already dark so that’s a great way of maintaining a social life. For me, I just like to embrace the evenings. Having a cosy night in is one of my favourite things to do so I’ll stick up fairy lights, light candles and watch some rubbish on tv. Sorry that this time of year isn’t your favourite but we’re nearly at the shortest day – the evenings will start getting lighter before you know it 🙂
    Beth x Adventure & Anxiety

8. December 17, 2018 / 6:30 pm

Great tips! Definitely going to save this post!🖤

9. December 18, 2018 / 7:43 am

These are all such wonderful tips, i can only imagine how early dark evenings can effect how we feel! We’re in summer here and the sun doesn’t go down early in Australia but I still could definitely use these tips xx thank you!

findyourownhope.blogspot.com

10. December 18, 2018 / 2:04 pm

I hate this time of year, for the same reason – not feeling like I have done enough basically. But sometimes you just have to use this as an advantage, take a step back and chill with a nice cuppa 🙂 Lovely post, I think people need to read this, especially those who suffer from seasonal affective disorder. You should totally reference SAD in your post so people who suffer from it find your blog post x
    Laura / http://www.laustworld.com/

11. December 18, 2018 / 6:27 pm

These are all really good ideas. Getting excited for Christmas definitely helps me. Feeling festive is what it’s all about! I also have that feeling where I think I can’t do something. But sometimes I surprise myself and get through it better than I thought I would.

I hope you have a lovely Christmas and New Year! 🙂

12. December 18, 2018 / 8:10 pm

I love this time of year. Mostly because it is summer time where I live at this time of year. However, when I did live in England, I did find the early sunset difficult. I loved how festive everything was over there though!

13. December 19, 2018 / 8:18 am

Really cool post! About something a lot of people can relate to, I think darker evenings effect everyone in very different ways and with this post people can know not only its just them but how they can try to improve the dark evenings 🙂