I’ve been to my fair share of gigs, in fact when I was around 16 I don’t think I went more than a couple of months without one.
I’ve created a list of things you’ll be able to remember if you went to a lot of gigs as a teen.
- You would want to get to the venue 10 hours before the doors open so you can stand at the barrier, the barrier was EVERYTHING
- You would have a countdown app on your phone displaying how many days until your next gig
- You would make a Facebook status to let everyone know when you managed to get tickets to see your fav band
- The show would be all you spoke about the next day at school
- You would save up your pocket money so you can buy as much band merch as possible
- You would buy ‘Kerrang’ magazine so you could rip out the posters to stick them all over your bedroom wall
- Your Christmas/Birthday wishlist would always include gig tickets
- You would make your parents/ your friends parents who’re driving you to the gig play the music of who you’re going to see for the whole journey
- ‘I’ve lost my friend’ became the way you could push through the crowd to get closer to the front
- You would end up with a collection of those plastic wristbands with the name of the band on it
- When the main act finally came on everyone would run forwards and push closer to the barrier
- The crowd would always be dead for the first support bands, you’d get a few people awkwardly standing there nodding their heads
- You would always end up gasping for a drink/ a whole bottle of water before the main bands come on, but you couldn’t leave or you’d lose your space.
- You’d soon learn that it’s better not to take a coat and queue to get into the cloakroom, you would rather freeze in the queue
- Most times there would be someone that passes out and has to be carried out by security
- You would find it super annoying when the people around you stood still and didn’t dance or jump along to the music
- It wasn’t possible to not get kicked by a crowd surfer
- No matter how much you straightened your hair before you left the house when you leave the gig it would be super messy
Which ones of these can you relate too?