Contraceptive 101: The Implant Nexplanon

reproductive-health-supplies-coalition-APYNdxlT3Nk-unsplash

Here’s to the second entry of my new series: Contraception 101 where I discuss different contraception methods with their pro’s and con’s.

The previous entry: The Contraceptive Patch

What is the Implant?

The contraceptive implant is a plastic rod roughly the same size as a match stick that’s placed under the skin of the upper arm. It’s considered to be a LARC which stands for long-acting reversible contraception.

How does the Implant work?

The implant works by releasing the hormone progestin in small doses into the bloodstream. This then prevents the ovaries from releasing any eggs whilst thickening the cervical mucus making it harder for the sperm to fertilise an egg.

How long does it last for?

The implant named ‘Nexplanon’ lasts for 3 years after that there will be no more hormone left to be released into the bloodstream, it will then need to be removed.

How efficient is it?

The implant is considered to be over 99% effective, therefore making it the most effective method available.

When used over a 3 year period, less than one implant user out of every thousand will become unexpectantly pregnant.

How is the Implant inserted?

The implant has to be inserted by a trained healthcare professional, this could be at your local GP surgery or a sexual health clinic.

The doctor/nurse will use a local anesthetic to numb a small area of your inner upper arm, the implant will then be inserted just under the surface with a special needle. The whole procedure only takes a matter of minuites, once it’s complete it’s normal for the area to feel tender and bruise.

How is the Implant removed?

The implant also has to be removed by a trained healthcare professional.

The doctor/nurse will start by using a local anesthetic to numb the area where the implant sits. A small insition is made in the arm and the implant is gently pulled out.

Benefits:

• It can be removed
  • It’s a long-lasting method
  • Reduces heavy/ painful periods
  • Easy to hide
  • It can be used when breastfeeding from 6 weeks after birth
  • A good option for those who can’t use estrogen contraception
  • Doesn’t interrupt sex
  • Fertility is back to normal on removal

Negatives:

• A trained healthcare professional is needed for insertion and removal
  • Initially changed bleeding patterns
  • Weight gain
  • No STI/HIV protection
  • Can experience side effects such as headaches, nausea, acne, breast pain, and mood swings

Have you tried the Implant?

1. February 24, 2020 / 8:45 pm

Thank you for sharing this very informative post. I don’t know much about the contraception implant. I like how you have shared the positives and negatives! Thank you for sharing! X

• bbbryony
      Author
      February 24, 2020 / 9:53 pm

No problem, thank you for taking your time to read x

2. February 25, 2020 / 1:24 am

I love this series! It’s a great way to share the information. I really like the idea of the implant as it’s long lasting and you obviously don’t need to remember to take/ do anything but one of my friends used to have one a while ago and she used to walk around asking people to feel it in her arm. That kinda put me off trying it 😂 x

Sophie

3. February 25, 2020 / 9:32 am

I’ve never considered the implant before but I do quite like the sound of it and not having to set my bloody alarm every morning to take my pill! x

4. February 25, 2020 / 6:16 pm

Loving this series, my friend had the implant but she didnt get on well with it!

5. February 25, 2020 / 6:41 pm

I’ve been thinking about switching off the pill for years now to see if it helps my mental health but I never do it, since I’m comfortable and so used to it! The implant sort of freaks me out just because it’s imbedded under your skin 😅 I don’t think I’d rule it out though, but the negative affects of it put me off a bit! This is a great series to write about, definitely gonna check out the others ☺️

Beka | http://www.bekadaisies.com

• bbbryony
      Author
      February 25, 2020 / 6:59 pm

It’s a weird thought but after a week of having mine in I’d totally forgot it was there. I’m going to have a post soon about my experience as I’ve just had my implant changed x

6. February 25, 2020 / 6:52 pm

Thanks so much for this post! I’ve been thinking about changing my contraceptive but knew nothing about the implant and wanted to read someone’s personal opinion on it.

Olivia | http://www.heylittletulip.wordpress.com

• bbbryony
      Author
      February 25, 2020 / 6:56 pm

I’m glad it was helpful, I’ve just had my implant changed and I’m going to have a post up soon about that experience x

7. February 25, 2020 / 7:32 pm

Such a great series of posts, a great way to share information. I have had a look into the implant before but having a foreign body in my arm put me off even though it does look like a good method of contraception.

Samantha | https://samanthajblogs.co.uk

8. February 26, 2020 / 8:24 pm

My friend had the implant in her arm that she could actually feel and I think that’s what put me off but it does sound like a great form of contraception! Great informative post x

9. February 29, 2020 / 6:48 am

I’ve heard so many things about the implant! It is great since you don’t have to worry about taking a pill every night at the same time. The effective rate is really good. Though, it is a bummer that some weight gain can be involved. Thanks for sharing these facts!

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

10. Charity
    February 29, 2020 / 6:27 pm

I have never had an implant before, I have always been on the pill but it would be nice to not have to set your alarm everyday and take it!

11. Holly
    March 2, 2020 / 6:55 pm

Thanks for sharing! I like very honest posts like this and these can be relatable to many. Looking forward to reading the rest of your contraception series!

Holly x

12. March 3, 2020 / 2:03 pm

I’ve been nervous to consider it but you made it sound like a walk in the park! Thank you for sharing this information | lanalikes.com

• bbbryony
      Author
      March 3, 2020 / 8:29 pm

I’m glad, I’m uploading a post soon all about my implant insertion and removal x